Renting a property for the first time can be a daunting experience. Please find following some information which may help you when following the process of choosing your new home.
1) Contact us to book a viewing and we will discuss with you your individual circumstances to ascertain whether you are “proceedable”. To be proceedable you need to have:
- Adequate household income to cover the rent (30 x monthly rental amount as annual household income) or savings
- Good credit history (no bad credit within the past 6 years)
- Positive previous landlord references (if currently in rented)
- Right to legally reside in the UK
- Be able to move/take the property within the acceptable time frame
2) If you would like to proceed with the property after viewing, you will need to complete an application form, which is available on our downloads page here. When this has been completed, you will need to pay a holding deposit which is the equivalent of one weeks’ rent. The full terms and conditions relating to the payment of the holding deposit are contained within the tenancy application form.
3) Once referencing has passed, we will make contact with you to confirm the finer details of the tenancy, including check in date and length of tenancy. We will also send you an invoice covering your initial funds which need to be cleared into our bank account prior to check in (One months’ rent in advance and five weeks rent as a security deposit, unless you choose to make use of our nil deposit scheme).
4) Your contract will arrive with you for signing via our secure electronic signature portal unless you request otherwise. You will also be provided with a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate, the latest gas safety certificate and the government “How to Rent” leaflet (which can also be found on our downloads page).
4) Prior to tenancy signature, all occupiers aged over 18 (or who will turn 18 during the tenancy) must visit our office to present an original copy of their photographic identification (normally your passport) to comply with the Right to Rent legislation. A copy will be held on our secure servers until 12 months post the end of the tenancy term as per the law.
5) On the day of check in, we will meet you at the property to provide you will all your relevant paperwork and keys, take meter readings, do safety and compliance checks and walk round the property with you to explain the heating systems, appliances and other “quirks” of each individual property.
6) For our managed properties, for the duration of the tenancy we will be your first point of call for any issues maintenance or otherwise during office hours. Outside of these times, we have an emergency maintenance line on 01454 800114. For our let only properties, we will give you the contact details for your landlord who will then become your first point of contact.
7) Your monthly rent will be due exactly one calendar month after the date of the start of the tenancy, and on that day thereafter unless you specifically request otherwise. We expect you to set up a standing order payment. We understand that sometimes there may be issues with banking for the first month, however any late payments of rent after this first month or persistent late or missing rent will affect your tenancy so it is therefore very important that you contact us immediately if you are struggling to cover your rental payments.
8) Two months prior to the end of your fixed term contract we will contact you to ascertain whether you intend to stay in the property and whether you would like another fixed term contract (subject to landlord approval) or whether you would like to move on to a periodic (rolling) contract.
9) Throughout the duration of your tenancy, you will have an annual visit from our safety testing team to carry out compliance and safety testing, and you will have a property inspection every four months (both visits you will be given prior notice of via email unless requested otherwise).
10) To end your tenancy at the end of the fixed term or during a periodic agreement, you need to provide us with one calendar months’ notice in writing. We will carry out a check out on your last day of tenancy, and subject to this being a positive check, aim to return your security deposit to you within 3 working days.